We are all familiar with the cliché of pot brownies. Even to this day, everything I bake and then offer to friends and family is questioned with, “Are these special?” I understand their wariness but I am also a bit offended that they think I would offer them a psychoactive baked treat without telling them! So, in spite of all this, I am offering the LIWTS audience a pot brownie recipe that can also be made without its special properties.
Importance of Lecithin
In this recipe, I use sunflower lecithin for its amazing abilities to carry the cannabis past the blood brain barrier quicker – meaning that the cannabis is absorbed more than without it – meaning the effect is a stronger high or that you can use less cannabis. One of the reasons pot brownies have such an infamous history is probably due to the lecithin that is used in most chocolates as an emulsifier. Unknowingly, pot advocators were baking brownies for their intensely spiritual affects when lecithin was probably the reason most kept up the tradition. It is also helpful to use lecithin in your butters or oils for the same effect. It isn’t a proven fact, but in my experience, the lecithin makes the product seem at least three times as potent.
Tip: I would stay away from soy lecithin and be aware to buy a product that does not have GMOs!
How Much THC Should I Use?
This is always the million-dollar question, and, really, you have to experiment to find out. It has many factors: the potency of your weed, the use of lecithin, how long the weed is cooked and your tolerance. You can follow this cannabutter or coconut oil recipe and read about the benefits of lecithin.
Know The Potency of Your Butter or Oil
This is a pretty important fact to know before you bake your brownies. If you are in a hurry, well, I guess you are in for a surprise. It’s important to decarb your bud first. As a rule of thumb, I would bake about 3-6 grams to one cup of butter or oil with 1 tbsp lecithin at 160 F for four hours. While you wait – you can prepare your brownie mix.
Macadamia Butter – Why It’s Great & How To Make It
Of course, you can use the generic brownie box mix, but this recipe calls for macadamia butter. Macadamia is one of the best nuts – high in fat and low in polyunsaturated fats. And, it tastes unbelievable. To make your own butter so you know that it is 100% pure (and to save money) you need to purchase raw, unroasted nuts and follow this recipe.
- Soak 1 cup of macadamia nuts in water (make sure the water covers the nuts) until somewhat soft. You can do this overnight or for just one hour
- Drain the water into a separate cup, but keep it to add to the mixture
- Pour your soaked nuts into a food processor or use a hand mixer
- Add a tablespoon of coconut oil and a bit of salt to taste
- Mix well. Add the water used to soak the nuts if you need to soften the mixture
Pot Brownies Recipe, Making Two Batches
I always like to recommend making two batches of baked treats: one with cannabis and one without. Because, after the THC sets in, you might be tempted to have another and another. It is a good idea to have something sweet on hand that can satisfy the craving but is also not full of sugar and empty calories. That is why this brownie recipe is the best!
Macadamia Gluten-Free and Low Carb Brownies
- For 12 servings use 60 mg of THC
- Cannabutter or oil, around 60-100mg – try not to exceed 2 Tbsps
- 1 cup cocoa
- 5 Tbsp of macadamia butter (alternatively almond butter)
- 2-3 Tbsps molasses
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp gelatin (alternatively you can use ¼ cup almond flour and 1 tsp of baking powder for binding)
- 2 Tbsps coconut flakes
- 1 Tbsp cocoa nibs
- ¼ cup macadamia nuts
- 3-4 Tbsps of sugar or alternate sugar like xylitol if you like your treats really sweet (optional)
- Make the Macadamia nut butter. Take out your eggs so that they can become room temp. This way, they won’t solidify your butter or oil.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix the nut butter with your cannabutter or oil and molasses (and sugar if you want to add it).
- Whisk eggs in a separate bowl. Add a little at a time to nut butter mix. Then add coconut flakes if desired.
- Add cocoa and gelatin or flour a little at a time while mixing.
- Add cocoa nibs and nuts to taste
- Line a pan or spread coconut oil on the glass pan. Add mixture evenly and bake for about 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the brownies clean.