Making Hash Oil Using The Rick Simpson Method
Who is Rick Simpson
If you have ever heard anything about Cannabis curing Cancer you have probably heard the name Rick Simpson. Rick has been a long-time advocate for the use of hemp and cannabis oil in treating forms of cancer. His story began back in 2003 when he was diagnosed with Basal Cell Carcinoma skin cancer. Rick had three spots of cancer, 2 on his face and one on his neck. The way he went about his treatment changed how we all think of Medical Marijuana.
Rick initially elected to have surgery but had already spent a year extracting oil from hemp plants, which he ingested orally for other health conditions. Then one day he had a light bulb moment, 30 years previously there had been a news report from the University of Virginia which said THC can kill cancer cells in Mice.
With this in mind Rick thought why not try it, if it can kill cancer cells in mice why not me? So, he applied some of his cannabis oil to bandages and put it over his cancer spots. Four days later Rick removed the bandages and found that the cancerous cells were no longer there. This began a long-term fight to get this information to be accepted by Doctors, cancer organisations and the world at large.
As any trail blazer generally is, he was ignored, not to be deterred by this he took matters into his own hands. He began growing cannabis plants and producing oil which he gave away for free to anyone who needed it. He had his home raided by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police on multiple occasions, losing over 2,600 plants in the process but continued to provide medicine for those in need.
What is Rick Simpson Oil
The term Rick Simpson Oil was coined by Jack Herer and is used to describe oils derived from the cannabis plant. This is not to be confused with CBD oil which is generally derived from the Hemp plant, a non-psychoactive version of the cannabis plant. Rick Simpson Oil is a full spectrum plant extract which contains CBD, THC, CBN and CBG unlike CBD oil which is CBD only with trace elements of the other active compounds found in cannabis.
The oil Rick makes uses 100% Indica strains as he believes that the Indica plant has stronger healing properties due the the strong relaxation effect of this particular strain. He believes the strong effect of relaxation is good because it allows the body to go into recovery mode. This does not mean that he believes that Indica is the miracle plant, he also mixes Indica oils with Sativa oils for use of different medical conditions.
What Conditions Can the Oil Treat?
Rick has provided the oil to many people for many different conditions. Of course we know that Rick has used it personally for treating his own skin cancer but there are many other medical conditions including;
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Crohn’s Disease
- Chronic Pain
Making Rick Simpson Oil
Video courtesy of RuffHouse Studios on Youtube.
We have summarised how Rick Simpson makes his oil as the instructions on his site are very detailed. Using solvents is dangerous so if you do attempt to make this find out how to do this as safely as possible. Remember solvents are highly flammable. If you want to know more about Ricks methods instructions on how to make Rick Simpson Oil can be found here.
What You Need
To use a full course of the oil you will need to produce 60g or 60ml of oil. To produce this amount will require minimum 360g of bud or up to 450g unless you have incredibly well grown stock. To produce the amount needed, the rule of thumb is, 6-7g of good bud will produce around 1g or 1ml of oil. So, think carefully if this is the course of medicine you want to take as it won’t be cheap and if you get the process wrong it will be expensive to remake.
Firstly, as it is an extraction process you will need some form of solvent (about 8-9 litres for), Rick uses pure light Aliphatic Naphtha or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. In Europe, the Naphtha is known as Benzin(e) which is sold as a cleaning fluid in hardware/ DIY stores. Again, it is important to understand what you are using here, these products are not 100% safe to use. Ensure you know the boiling point (Rick recommends 70°C) of your solvent as we don’t want you to get hurt and that the solvent is clear.
Some people use Butane but this isn’t recommended as it is highly unstable.
Other things you need will include
- Two 20 litre buckets, deep ones to prevent the solvent splashing over the sides
- Some small containers for the solvent after it has been filtered
- Funnels and coffee filters to fit the funnels
- A large fan
- Stainless steel measuring cup
- An oven
- Rice Cooker or Slow Cooker
- Plastic syringes (without needles)
Wash the buds
- Put the dried buds into the bucket, add a little solvent and dampen down the bud with the 2 x 4 piece of wood. Once the bud is completely crushed add more solvent to just cover the dried bud and continue to work with the piece of wood. Do this for 3-4 minutes
- Poor the solvent oil mix into another bucket leaving the buds at the bottom of the first bucket. In the first bucket add more solvent and work for 3-4 minutes again.
- Again, pour this solvent mix in to container number 2.
- You can do a third wash but by this point the quality of oil produced will be poor. If you start with low quality buds only perform one bud wash to get the best quality oil.
Filtering the Mix
- Line the funnels with the coffee filters and drain the solvent mix into a clean container. This will remove any remaining plant matter and you will be left with a yellow coloured liquid where the solvent has absorbed all the cannabis essential oils.
Boil Off the Solvent
- Using your rice cooker or slow cooker to simmer off the solvent and leave just the remaining cannabis oils.
- Ensure your fan is set up and that this is done in a well-ventilated area. Set the fan up next to this to ensure that the solvent gas dissipates as the gases can build up and these are highly flammable.
- Never let the temperature go above 300°F (148°C) as this is the point where the healing oils vaporize. The minimum setting needs to be at least 230°F (110°C) as this is where Decarboxylation begins (the point at which the healing oils become activated.
- Fill your choice of cooker 3/4s full with the solvent mix and begin simmering
- As the solvent boils off add more of the solvent mix and continue simmering until all of the solvent mix has been added and there is about 2 inches of liquid left.
- Add 10-12 drops of water to the mx this helps to purify the remaining oil and to boil the last of the solvent off.
- As the last of the solvent boils off you will hear a crackling sound and see that the oil is bubbling
- Once it is boiled off leave it to cool slightly before pouring into a stainless-steel bowl or jug.
Finishing the Oil
- Take the jug of cooled oil and put it into an oven at 250°F (120°C) for 30 minutes to an hour. This will remove any remaining drops of water and solvent.
- Then use the syringes to draw in the oil and leave to cool ready for use
- Beware that as the oil cools and it can become quite thick. If it is too thick when you come to use it just warm it slightly.
Using Rick Simpson Oil
The first thing to note when using Rick Simpson Oil is that it isn’t intended to get you high. Some people will feel the effects but most won’t if the oil is administered as intended by Rick Simpson. It is also important to note that this is not an addictive substance but like any medicine it should be used carefully and as directed.
On average, most people take 90 days to ingest a course of Rick Simpson Oil, which is 60 grams or 60ml of oil. People start small and build up to the amounts needed which is about 1 gram or 1ml per day. Rick describes this in detail on his site and recommends taking 3 doses per day, every 8 hours, and scaling the dosage until you reach the full amount needed to gain the positive effects of the oil. To find out more about the dosage instructions of Rick Simpson Oil visit this page.